Diversity at UCSF Dentistry
The UCSF School of Dentistry celebrates diversity of many kinds because diversity is essential to our status as an inclusive, compassionate, forward-thinking organization. Over our 130+ year history, we have evolved and continue to evolve, welcoming an ever-wider and more diverse community of patients, students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends into the UCSF Dentistry family.
Diversity at UCSF Dentistry has long been a matter of policy, and the focus of intense, concerted efforts to better understand how diversity benefits all of us.
For example, our innovative Dental Post-Baccalaureate Program and the new Dean's Scholarship for Opportunity seek to increase access to the oral and craniofacial sciences professions for excellent candidates who have been socioeconomically and/or educationally disadvantaged. Additionally, organizations such as the student-led Gay Straight Dental Alliance (GSDA) seek to make the dental profession a more welcoming and inclusive environment for everyone.
Our calendar is filled throughout the year by UCSF- and student organization-sponsored events that reflect and celebrate our diversity. We participate in a variety of outreach events at UCSF, throughout California and beyond, that search for the great people who will join our community and help us better reflect the communities we seek to serve.
At the UCSF School of Dentistry we firmly believe that "our diversity is our strength," and that it is essential to our Mission of advancing oral, craniofacial, and public health through excellence in education, discovery, and patient-centered care. Our strategic plan reflects our commitment to diversity, not just in spirit, but also in reality.
John D.B. Featherstone, MSc, PhD
Dean, UCSF School of Dentistry
Student Organizations at UCSF Dentistry and UCSF
Registered Clubs & Organizations (RCOs) are a very important part of campus life. Each year there are more than 130 RCOs at UCSF. These organizations combine to sponsor over 400 diverse and exciting activities each year. UCSF encourages the formation of RCOs to promote and provide for the special interests of the UCSF community.
- Academy of General Dentistry
- Alpha Omega International Dental Fraternity at UCSF
- American Dental Education Association (ADEA) Student Chapter at UCSF (http://www.adeaucsf.org/)
- American Student Dental Association at UCSF (http://asdaucsf.com)
- Bite Mark (Forensic Odontology Club at UCSF)
- Children's Health Hut (http://chh.atucsf.com/)
- Community Dental Clinic (http://cdc.atucsf.com)
- Delta Sigma Delta- Zeta Chapter (http://facebook.com/groups/2397481260/)
- Developmental Disabilites in Pediatric Dentistry at UCSF
- Gay/Straight Dental Alliance (https://www.facebook.com/GSDAUCSF)
- Hispanic Student Dental Association (HSDA) (http://rco.ucsf.edu/index.php/hsda)
- John Greene Society (http://jgs.atucsf.com/)
- Latin and Ballroom Dance (http://rco.ucsf.edu/index.php/lbd)
- Orthodontic Club at UCSF
- Student National Dental Association (SNDA)
- Student Society of Pediatric Dentistry (http://rco.ucsf.edu/index.php/sspd)
- Students United for America's Toothfairy
Diversity at UCSF