Thank you for your interest in the UCSF School of Dentistry, and welcome to our website.
Here you will find comprehensive, up-to-date news and information on all aspects of the School and its activities, as well as a sense of the scope and global reach of our work. I hope you will find what you are looking for, and much more of interest besides.
Here are some of the specific ways we are serving our community and fulfilling our educational mission - in San Francisco, throughout the State of California, and beyond:
- Admissions - Our redesigned online admissions process speeds access to information and answers for applicants through the increasing use of technology and procedural refinements. We continually seek ways to broaden and diversify the pool of potential applicants, to create entering classes reflective of our community.
- Predoctoral Education - A more rigorous and better-designed academic program, instituted during the 2004-2005 academic year, provides our predoctoral dental students with a quality educational experience that prepares them for the real world of their profession, and for the highest standards of practice.
- Clinical Services - Our excellent patient-centered care is available to the public at a reasonable cost, on our main San Francisco campuses and at community clinics throughout the State of California. In our clinics patients are assessed and treated with humanity and respect, as individuals, in a way that's best able to meet their needs in basic dentistry and in a variety of orofacial disciplines.
- Research - Our research efforts are continually revitalized and expanded, and we remain at the forefront of basic science and translational research, bringing the benefits of our efforts into the clinic and into the classroom. Our students are sophisticated consumers of scientific information and often accomplished scientists as well, expanding knowledge with beneficial implications for patient care and beyond.
- Outreach - The School seeks to provide services and educational opportunity to a broad and diverse constituency of patients and students. To accomplish this, we reach out to understand who is not being served and why, making it our goal to provide opportunities to receive care and to learn — for all of California.
Our values and dedication remain constant, carrying forward and building upon the great work of the past 130+ years, always mindful of our commitment to the community and guided by our core principles:
MISSION: Advancing oral, craniofacial, and public health through excellence in education, discovery, and patient-centered care.
VISION: To be a worldwide leader in dental education and public health, clinical practice, and scientific discovery.
VALUES: Our core values encompass our operating philosophy and principles that guide us in our daily actions and decisions, as well as in our interactions with others.
We look forward to continuing a great tradition of learning, discovery, and service.
John D.B. Featherstone, MSc, PhD
Dean, UCSF School of Dentistry