Tobacco Focus for Global Oral Health Symposium 2013
UCSF Dentistry's Global Oral Health Symposium 2013 focused on Tobacco and Global Oral Health, and experts with worldwide reach and experience were convened to address the many interrelated issues during a closed morning roundtable discussion, and throughout the day.
At the end of the event Associate Dean for Global Oral Health John S. Greenspan, BSc, BDS, PhD, FRCPath, said he was "delighted with the level of interest in this important topic; in particular, the caliber of the talks, the lively discussion, and the wonderful enthusiasm of our students for global health issues."
The afternoon's heavily attended open symposium began following introductory remarks by UCSF Dentistry Dean John D.B. Featherstone, MSc, PhD, and Associate Dean Greenspan. Paul Volberding, MD, Director of Research for Global Health Sciences, offered his own words of welcome.
Symposium panelists and presentations included:
- Valerie Beral, AC, DBE, FRS, MRCP, Director, Cancer Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford: Epidemiology of Tobacco Related Diseases
- Steven A. Schroeder, MD, Distinguished Professor of Health and Health Care, UCSF Department of Medicine and Director, Smoking Cessation Leadership Center: Update on Tobacco Control
- Saman Warnakulasuriya OBE, FDS, PhD, Professor of Oral Medicine and Experimental Pathology, Dental Institute, King’s College London: Tobacco Habits and Oral Diseases
- Scott L. Tomar, DMD, MPH, DrPH, Professor, Department of Community Dentistry and Behavioral Science, University of Florida College of Dentistry: Cigarette Smoking: The Major Preventable Risk Factor for Chronic Periodontitis
Following their presentations, the afternoon speakers sat down to collectively address questions on tobacco-related oral health issues posed by members of the audience and by panel moderator Stuart A. Gansky, MS, DrPH, John C. Greene Endowed Chair in Primary Care Dentistry in the Department of Preventive & Restorative Dental Sciences, UCSF School of Dentistry.
The first annual Global Oral Health Awards were given at the 2013 event to one faculty member and one student from UCSF "as a tribute to those working here on Global Oral Health and to encourage excellence in this emerging field."
Eligibility for the awards was open to the entire UCSF community, and faculty from all UCSF Schools were asked "to consider the contributions of their colleagues and students so that their achievements may be recognized."
UCSF Global Oral Health 2013 Awards were presented to:
- Karin Vargervik, DDS: UCSF Faculty Award for Achievement in Global Oral Health
- Carrie Tsai, DMD, MPH: UCSF Student Award for Achievement in Global Oral Health
Top to bottom: Morning roundtable; gathering for the afternoon session; panel discussion; UCSF Dentistry Associate Dean for Global Oral Health Dr. John S. Greenspan (left) with UCSF Global Oral Health 2013 Award Recipients Drs Karin Vargervik and Carrie Tsai
- Global Oral Health Symposium 2013 Program (PDF)
- UCSF Dentistry: Global Oral Health
- More Pictures from UCSF Dentistry's Global Oral Health Symposium 2013