Interprofessional Health Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program
Members of the 2015-2016 UCSF Dental Post-Baccalaureate Program
Left to Right: Katherine Oganian, Marcus Rice, Ashly Molina, Dario Miguel-Perez, Breeana Griffith, Mironda Burch, Paul Asfour, Jenny Kye, Katherine San Jose, Alan Lopez, John Marino Sy, Eric Esposito
This year-long, structured program is designed for first time applicants who believe they need additional preparation in order to be competitive applicants and for previously unsuccessful applicants to dental school. We are especially interested in individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds, underserved communities and/or from groups traditionally underrepresented in the profession*.
The comprehensive program is designed to help participants become more competitive dental school applicants in a future admission cycle, and consists of the following key elements:
- Mentoring and academic advising
- A full year of upper division science course work through the University of California, Berkeley Extension
- Assistance with the dental school application process
- Academic and learning skills development
- Intensive DAT review course
- Faculty mentoring
- Interprofessional collaboration with the Medical and Pharmacy post-baccalaureate programs
However, applicants should be aware that successful completion of the program does not guarantee admission to either the UCSF School of Dentistry or any other dental school.
The program begins in August and is 11 months in duration. Participation is limited to 12 individuals.
Eligibility and Application Process
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident, and preference is given to California residents.
- You must have earned a Bachelor’s degree.
- You must have completed all of the prerequisites for dental school (see a complete list of the prerequisites on our web page under Dental Admissions Requirements)
- Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible as selection of participants will be on a rolling basis and the application process will close once all positions are filled
- All required materials (as outlined in the application instructions) must be received by the application deadline or your application will be ineligible for consideration and will be canceled.
- Participants are responsible for all expenses associated with the program (including relocation and/or living expenses).
- Participants may not work while enrolled in the program.
If admitted, you will be provided with information on how to apply for financial aid to assist with the expenses of the program. For the most up-to-date information on the cost of the program, please visit: http://finaid.ucsf.edu/newly-admitted-students/post_bac_programs
The 2016-2017 Interprofessional Health Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program application cycle will open
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. We highly encourage applicants to complete their applications as soon and efficiently as possible. Check back here for more updates.
If you have any questions, please contact the UCSF School of Dentistry Office of Admissions: 415-476-2737 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* If you are uncertain about your disadvantaged status, we encourage you to apply. A disadvantaged individual is one who, from an early age, resided in a low-income community or experienced enduring family, societal, or other hardship that significantly compromised educational opportunities. An underserved community is a geographic location or an identified population that is determined medically underserved based upon U.S. Census data.
2015-2016 IHPB Dentistry Cohort:
- Paul Asfour - University of Washington
- Mironda Burch - University of California, Davis
- Eric Esposito - McGill University
- Breeana Griffith - University of Miami
- Jenny Kye -University of California, San Diego
- Alan Lopez - University of Washington
- Dario Miguel-Perez - Universidad de La Habana, Cuba
- Ashly Molina- University of California, Santa Barbara
- Katherine Oganian - California State University, Los Angeles
- Marcus Rice - University of California, Merced
- Katherine San Jose - University of California, San Diego
- John Marino Sy - University of California, Santa Cruz