Interprofessional Health Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program
Members of the 2014-2015 UCSF Dental Post-Baccalaureate Program
Left to Right: Joselinne Estrada,Taewon "Tim" Jung, Mauricio Rubio, Carol Chavez, Sederic Grant, Rosangel Oropeza, Emmanuel Mogire, Akeia Everett, Denisse Gomez, Andrea Akabike, Jorge Reyes
This year-long, structured program is designed for first time applicants who believe they need additional preparation in order to be competitive applicants and for previously unsuccessful applicants to dental school. We are especially interested in individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds, underserved communities and/or from groups traditionally underrepresented in the profession*.
The comprehensive program is designed to help participants become more competitive dental school applicants in a future admission cycle, and consists of the following key elements:
- Mentoring and academic advising
- A full year of upper division science course work through the University of California, Berkeley Extension
- Assistance with the dental school application process
- Academic and learning skills development
- Intensive DAT review course
- Faculty mentoring
- Interprofessional collaboration with the Medical and Pharmacy post-baccalaureate programs
However, applicants should be aware that successful completion of the program does not guarantee admission to either the UCSF School of Dentistry or any other dental school.
The program begins in August and is 11 months in duration. Participation is limited to 11 individuals.
Eligibility and Application Process
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident, and preference is given to California residents.
- You must have earned a Bachelor’s degree.
- You must have completed all of the prerequisites for dental school (see a complete list of the prerequisites on our web page under Dental Admissions Requirements)
- Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible as selection of participants will be on a rolling basis and the application process will close once all positions are filled
- All required materials (as outlined in the application instructions) must be received by the application deadline or your application will be ineligible for consideration and will be canceled.
- Participants are responsible for all expenses associated with the program (including relocation and/or living expenses).
- Participants may not work while enrolled in the program.
If admitted, you will be provided with information on how to apply for financial aid to assist with the expenses of the program. For the most up-to-date information on the cost of the program, please visit: http://finaid.ucsf.edu/newly-admitted-students/post_bac_programs
The 2015-2016 Interprofessional Health Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program application cycle
IS NOW CLOSED!
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. We highly encourage applicants to complete their applications as soon and efficiently as possible.
If you have any questions, please contact the UCSF School of Dentistry Office of Admissions: 415-476-2737 or email@example.com.
* If you are uncertain about your disadvantaged status, we encourage you to apply. A disadvantaged individual is one who, from an early age, resided in a low-income community or experienced enduring family, societal, or other hardship that significantly compromised educational opportunities. An underserved community is a geographic location or an identified population that is determined medically underserved based upon U.S. Census data.
2014-2015 IHPB Dentistry Cohort:
- Andrea Akabike - University of California, Berkeley
- Carol Chavez - California State University, Northridge
- Joselinne Estrada - University of California, Santa Cruz
- Akeia Everett - George Mason University
- Denisse Gomez -University of California, Santa Cruz
- Sederic Grant - University of California, Berkeley
- Taewon "Tim" Jung - University of California, Berkeley
- Rosangel Oropeza - University of California, Los Angeles
- Emmanuel Mogire - Mount St. Mary's College
- Jorge Reyes - University of Maryland
- Mauricio Rubio - University of California, Davis