Deborah Greenspan B.D.S, D.Sc. (Med)
Oral manifestations of AIDS; the oral effects of cancer therapy; and the development of new therapeutic approaches for oral mucosal and salivary gland disease
- Tel: (415) 476-3080
- Email: email@example.com
"My areas of interest include clinical, laboratory, and epidemiological studies relating to the oral manifestations of AIDS; the oral effects of cancer therapy; and the development of new therapeutic approaches for oral mucosal and salivary gland disease. I am part of a major epidemiological study of the oral lesions of HIV infection and direct a group of investigators identifying the oral lesions and providing treatment to people with these lesions. Some current studies include the following: the prevalence, incidence, and predicators of oral lesions in women with HIV infection (as part of the Women's Interagency HIV Study -WIHS), and the changing patterns of oral disease in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy in different HIV-positive populations. In addition, I am collaborating with Dr. Francisco Ramos-Gomez (Dept. of Growth & Development) on studies of injuries to dental heath-care workers.
I am involved in several clinical drug trials, including the treatment of aphthous ulcers, the treatment of oral warts, and the use of antifungal medications in the treatment of oral candidaisis. In the future, I plan to continue with my work in all of these fields, to learn more about the significance of the oral lesions of HIV infection and to develop better drugs for the treatment of a variety of oral conditions, such as oral candidasis, warts, xerostomia, and aphthous ulcers."
1. Tugizov SM, Herrera R, Veluppillai P, Greenspan D, Soros V, Greene WC, Levy JA, Palefsky JM. Differential Transmission of HIV Traversing Fetal Oral/Intestinal Epithelia and Adult Oral Epithelia. J Virol. 2012 Mar; 86(5):2556-70.
2. Tugizov SM, Herrera R, Veluppillai P, Greenspan D, Soros V, Greene WC, Levy JA, Palefsky JM. HIV is inactivated after transepithelial migration via adult oral epithelial cells but not fetal epithelial cells. Virology. 2011 Jan 20; 409(2):211-22.
3. Burwell AK, Litkowski LJ, Greenspan DC. Calcium sodium phosphosilicate (NovaMin): remineralization potential. Adv Dent Res. 2009; 21(1):35-9.
4. Shiboski CH, Patton LL, Webster-Cyriaque JY, Greenspan D, Traboulsi RS, Ghannoum M, Jurevic R, Phelan JA, Reznik D, Greenspan JS. The Oral HIV/AIDS Research Alliance: updated case definitions of oral disease endpoints. J Oral Pathol Med. 2009 Jul; 38(6):481-8.
5. Navazesh M, Mulligan R, Karim R, Mack WJ, Ram S, Seirawan H, Greenspan J, Greenspan D, Phelan J, Alves M. Effect of HAART on salivary gland function in the Women's Interagency HIV Study (WIHS). Oral Dis. 2009 Jan; 15(1):52-60.
6. Mulligan R, Seirawan H, Alves ME, Navazesh M, Phelan JA, Greenspan D, Greenspan JS, Mack WJ. Oral health-related quality of life among HIV-infected and at-risk women. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2008 Dec; 36(6):549-57.
7. Greenspan JS, Greenspan D. A global theme--poverty and human development. J Dent Res. 2007 Oct; 86(10):917-8.
8. Greenspan D. Oral health is global health. J Dent Res. 2007 Jun; 86(6):485.
9. Tugizov S, Herrera R, Veluppillai P, Greenspan J, Greenspan D, Palefsky JM. Epstein-Barr virus (EBV)-infected monocytes facilitate dissemination of EBV within the oral mucosal epithelium. J Virol. 2007 Jun; 81(11):5484-96.
10. Cox D, Greenspan D, Jordan RC, Greenspan JS. Oral bowenoid papulosis in an HIV-positive male. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2006 Oct; 102(4):431-2; author reply 432.
11. Alves M, Mulligan R, Passaro D, Gawell S, Navazesh M, Phelan J, Greenspan D, Greenspan JS. Longitudinal evaluation of loss of attachment in HIV-infected women compared to HIV-uninfected women. J Periodontol. 2006 May; 77(5):773-9.
12. Hodgson TA, Greenspan D, Greenspan JS. Oral lesions of HIV disease and HAART in industrialized countries. Adv Dent Res. 2006; 19(1):57-62.
13. Navazesh M, Mulligan R, Pogoda J, Greenspan D, Alves M, Phelan J, Greenspan J, Slots J. The effect of HAART on salivary microbiota in the Women's Interagency HIV Study (WIHS). Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2005 Dec; 100(6):701-8.
14. Phelan JA, Mulligan R, Nelson E, Brunelle J, Alves ME, Navazesh M, Greenspan D. Dental caries in HIV-seropositive women. J Dent Res. 2004 Nov; 83(11):869-73.
15. Baumgarth N, Szubin R, Dolganov GM, Watnik MR, Greenspan D, Da Costa M, Palefsky JM, Jordan R, Roederer M, Greenspan JS. Highly tissue substructure-specific effects of human papilloma virus in mucosa of HIV-infected patients revealed by laser-dissection microscopy-assisted gene expression profiling. Am J Pathol. 2004 Sep; 165(3):707-18.
16. Hilton JF, MacPhail LA, Pascasio L, Sroussi HY, Cheikh B, LaBao ME, Malvin K, Greenspan D, Dodd MJ. Self-care intervention to reduce oral candidiasis recurrences in HIV-seropositive persons: a pilot study. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2004 Jun; 32(3):190-200.
17. Mulligan R, Phelan JA, Brunelle J, Redford M, Pogoda JM, Nelson E, Seirawan H, Greenspan JS, Navazesh M, Greenspan D, Alves ME. Baseline characteristics of participants in the oral health component of the Women's Interagency HIV Study. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2004 Apr; 32(2):86-98.
18. Greenspan D, Jordan RC. The white lesion that kills--aneuploid dysplastic oral leukoplakia. N Engl J Med. 2004 Apr 1; 350(14):1382-4.
19. Greenspan D, Gange SJ, Phelan JA, Navazesh M, Alves ME, MacPhail LA, Mulligan R, Greenspan JS. Incidence of oral lesions in HIV-1-infected women: reduction with HAART. J Dent Res. 2004 Feb; 83(2):145-50.
20. McAllister SC, Hansen SG, Ruhl RA, Raggo CM, DeFilippis VR, Greenspan D, Früh K, Moses AV. Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) induces heme oxygenase-1 expression and activity in KSHV-infected endothelial cells. Blood. 2004 May 1; 103(9):3465-73.