Ralph Marcucio Ph.D.
Development and regeneration of the skeleton
- Tel: (415) 206-5366
- Email: email@example.com
Dr. Marcucio's research program focuses on two basic science areas. First, using cutting-edge genomic technology, Dr. Marcucio is examining how the entire genome responds to orthopaedic trauma. This genome-mining approach is aimed at determining the global genome response during fracture repair and allows the possibility to generate improved, highly innovative therapies for people undergoing fracture repair. Second, Ralph is examining the role that the brain plays during normal development of the facial skeleton. Many facial birth defects have an underlying brain malformation, and the goal of the research is to generate novel therapeutic approaches that will allow correcting facial malformations prior to birth.
1. Hallgrímsson B, Jamniczky HA, Young NM, Rolian C, Schmidt-Ott U, Marcucio RS. The generation of variation and the developmental basis for evolutionary novelty. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2012 Sep; 318(6):501-17.
2. Lu C, Xing Z, Wang X, Mao J, Marcucio RS, Miclau T. Anti-inflammatory treatment increases angiogenesis during early fracture healing. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2012 Aug; 132(8):1205-13.
3. Yu YY, Bahney C, Hu D, Marcucio RS, Miclau Iii T. Creating rigidly stabilized fractures for assessing intramembranous ossification, distraction osteogenesis, or healing of critical sized defects. J Vis Exp. 2012; (62).
4. Hu D, Marcucio RS. Neural crest cells pattern the surface cephalic ectoderm during FEZ formation. Dev Dyn. 2012 Apr; 241(4):732-40.
5. Acaroglu E, Bobe R, Enouf J, Marcucio R, Moldovan F, Moreau A. The metabolic basis of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: 2011 report of the "metabolic" workgroup of the Fondation Yves Cotrel. Eur Spine J. 2012 Jun; 21(6):1033-42.
6. Chong HJ, Young NM, Hu D, Jeong J, McMahon AP, Hallgrimsson B, Marcucio RS. Signaling by SHH rescues facial defects following blockade in the brain. Dev Dyn. 2012 Feb; 241(2):247-56.
7. Dede O, Akel I, Demirkiran G, Yalcin N, Marcucio R, Acaroglu E. Is decreased bone mineral density associated with development of scoliosis? A bipedal osteopenic rat model. Scoliosis. 2011; 6(1):24.
8. Parsons TE, Schmidt EJ, Boughner JC, Jamniczky HA, Marcucio RS, Hallgrímsson B. Epigenetic integration of the developing brain and face. Dev Dyn. 2011 Oct; 240(10):2233-44.
9. Lu C, Saless N, Hu D, Wang X, Xing Z, Hou H, Williams B, Swartz HM, Colnot C, Miclau T, Marcucio RS. Mechanical stability affects angiogenesis during early fracture healing. J Orthop Trauma. 2011 Aug; 25(8):494-9.
10. Cooke ME, Allon AA, Cheng T, Kuo AC, Kim HT, Vail TP, Marcucio RS, Schneider RA, Lotz JC, Alliston T. Structured three-dimensional co-culture of mesenchymal stem cells with chondrocytes promotes chondrogenic differentiation without hypertrophy. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2011 Oct; 19(10):1210-8.
11. Hu D, Marcucio RS. Assessing signaling properties of ectodermal epithelia during craniofacial development. J Vis Exp. 2011; (49).
12. Marcucio RS, Young NM, Hu D, Hallgrimsson B. Mechanisms that underlie co-variation of the brain and face. Genesis. 2011 Apr; 49(4):177-89.
13. Lieu S, Hansen E, Dedini R, Behonick D, Werb Z, Miclau T, Marcucio R, Colnot C. Impaired remodeling phase of fracture repair in the absence of matrix metalloproteinase-2. Dis Model Mech. 2011 Mar; 4(2):203-11.
14. Young NM, Chong HJ, Hu D, Hallgrímsson B, Marcucio RS. Quantitative analyses link modulation of sonic hedgehog signaling to continuous variation in facial growth and shape. Development. 2010 Oct; 137(20):3405-9.
15. Pape HC, Marcucio R, Humphrey C, Colnot C, Knobe M, Harvey EJ. Trauma-induced inflammation and fracture healing. J Orthop Trauma. 2010 Sep; 24(9):522-5.
16. Xing Z, Lu C, Hu D, Miclau T, Marcucio RS. Rejuvenation of the inflammatory system stimulates fracture repair in aged mice. J Orthop Res. 2010 Aug; 28(8):1000-6.
17. Lange J, Sapozhnikova A, Lu C, Hu D, Li X, Miclau T, Marcucio RS. Action of IL-1beta during fracture healing. J Orthop Res. 2010 Jun; 28(6):778-84.
18. Lu C, Xing Z, Yu YY, Colnot C, Miclau T, Marcucio RS. Recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-7 enhances fracture healing in an ischemic environment. J Orthop Res. 2010 May; 28(5):687-96.
19. Xing Z, Lu C, Hu D, Yu YY, Wang X, Colnot C, Nakamura M, Wu Y, Miclau T, Marcucio RS. Multiple roles for CCR2 during fracture healing. Dis Model Mech. 2010 Jul-Aug; 3(7-8):451-8.
20. Hu D, Lu C, Sapozhnikova A, Barnett M, Sparrey C, Miclau T, Marcucio RS. Absence of beta3 integrin accelerates early skeletal repair. J Orthop Res. 2010 Jan; 28(1):32-7.
For more information about Dr. Marcucio, please visit: http://orthosurg.ucsf.edu/Ralph.Marcucio