A preceptorship is an intensive training course in the specialty area of Periodontology, which will be open to graduates of dental schools outside of the United States and Canada and recognized by the World Health Organization.
Length of the Preceptorship
The preceptorship will be offered in 12-week modules and applicants can take up to four modules. This means that a preceptorship can last from three months to 12 months at the discretion of the Director of the Postgraduate Program in Periodontology, but cannot be longer. The course is full-time and outside activities that interfere with the program are not permitted.
Status of the Preceptors
Preceptors will be continuing education students registered through the Continuing Dental Education Department of the University of California, San Francisco.
International preceptors who require visa sponsorship will be supported on the J-1 Student-Non Degree visa. For information on the J-1 Student Non-Degree visa, please visit the UCSF International Student and Scholars Office website at https://isso.ucsf.edu/node/494  or send e-mail to email@example.com .
Subspecialty Ares offered for the Preceptorship in Periodontology
- Diagnosis and Treatment of the full range of periodontal diseases and conditions.
- Periodontal Plastic Surgery
- Implant Site Preparation and Implant Placement
- Periodontal-Systemic Relationships
- Periodontal Management of the Medically Compromised Patient and Patients with Special Needs
Preceptors will be full participants in the didactic program offered by the Division of Periodontology. This consists of the following:
- Monday through Friday 8:30 to 5- Observe and assist in the diagnosis and treatment of patients in the Postgraduate Periodontology Clinic
- Friday afternoons 12-2- Classic Literature Review
- Mondays (2nd Monday of the month) 12-1:30- Contemporary Literature Review
- Mondays (1st and 3rd Monday of the month), Tuesdays (1st Tuesday of the month) Wednesdays( 1st, 2nd and 3rd Wednesday of the month)- Treatment Planning Seminars (including a monthly joint seminar with the University of Kentucky in a virtual reality environment)
- Thursdays 8-9- Multidisciplinary Implant Conference
- Thursdays (Winter and Spring) 12-2- Practice Management Seminars
- Tuesdays and Thursdays (Summer and Fall) 12-2- Didactic/Seminar courses in Periodontal Surgery and Implantology
Preceptors will observe activities in the Graduate Periodontology Clinics and will be involved in the diagnosis and treatment planning of patients with problems within the area covered by their preceptorship. Preceptors may assist with patient care activities but cannot be the lead clinician.
At the beginning of the program, preceptors will meet with the program director who will review the overall schedule of activities. If opportunities are available, they may carry out a specific clinical or research project of their own under the guidance of a research mentor. In addition, the program director may arrange for separate educational activities for the preceptors with faculty in the Postgraduate Program in Periodontology.
A certificate of attendance is awarded upon successful completion of the preceptor program. This certificate is not the same as the postgraduate program certificate awarded to full-time postgraduate students in specialty programs as a qualification for recognition by the American Dental Association, nor is it considered in the United States as evidence of advanced study or recognition of specialty training.
Number of Positions
1-3 preceptors per module
This preceptorship program is not accredited by any national or local accreditation body, but on completion of the program, preceptors will be issued with a certificate of completion issued by the Continuing Dental Education Department of the UCSF School of Dentistry.
The admissions committee considers the following criteria in its decisions:
-Successful completion of dental degree education
-English language proficiency
-Reason for seeking education in periodontics
-Content of confidential reports
- Please complete and return the Preceptorship Application (Adobe Acrobat PDF) 
- Please complete and return the State of Proficiency in English form (Adobe Acrobat PDF)