Font resize Email Print

Frequently Asked Questions


  • There is generally funding available through federal grants for those students accepted into the PhD programs. The funding, however, can be offered only to American Citizens and Permanent Residents.

  • We accept students for all over the world, but foreign nationals must be able to pay for their tuition and living expenses completely out of pocket. Further, we require international students to demonstrate their ability to fund their own education for a period of at least three years.

  • There are no definite answers to this question. Applicants are judged individually based upon the items listed above, and the students applying change from year to year. Acceptance is always highly competitive, however, as there are a limited number of slots available. International students are required to earn a minimum score of 550 on the written TOEFL, or 213 on the computer-based exam.

  • There are two categories of students who are eligible for "terminal" master's programs. Graduate students holding DDS degrees working toward a clinical certification can, and in some instances are required to earn a master's degree in conjunction with their specialties. Additionally, Oral Hygiene graduates seeking to further their knowledge of the field most commonly with the goal of moving into an academic position are welcome into the master's program. Students seeking a research degree, whether basic, clinical or translational are generally not accepted for terminal master's programs.

  • Research and Academic dentistry offer a wide range of options. In contrast to the widely held view that only private practice dentists can live a financially comfortable existence, academics and research, when viewed longitudinally over an active lifespan, can offer a career of few risks and greater variety with the assurance of a reliable income. For more information see: Why Consider an Academic Career?