Mission, Vision and Values
MISSION: Advancing health through excellence in patient care, education and discovery
VISION: To be the preeminent innovator in oral and craniofacial health worldwide
VALUES: Our core values encompass our operating philosophy and principles that guide us in our daily actions and decisions, as well as in our interactions with others.
- We will exercise sound judgment and serve the best interests of our patients, the institution and our community.
- We accept responsibility for our decisions and actions. We celebrate success and use our mistakes as opportunities for learning and growth.
- We promote efficient operations and controls, responsible and accountable fiscal management and reporting, and protection of our and the public’s assets.
- We will be accountable as individuals and as members of the community for our ethical conduct and for compliance with applicable laws and University policies.
- We value and embrace diversity and inclusion as a source of innovation, lifelong learning and personal fulfillment.
- We strive to learn from all who bring a richness of experiences, beliefs and perspectives to our community.
- To attain our goals and sustain the health system, we will make effective use of the talents and abilities of all people.
- We believe that diversity contributes to a healthy society by challenging preconceptions, encouraging critical thinking, and helping health providers and students learn to communicate effectively with people.
- Education within a diverse setting prepares students by fostering mutual respect and teamwork and a full appreciation of humanity.
- Embracing diversity helps build communities whose members are judged by the quality of their character and their contributions.
- We will conscientiously strive for excellence and continuous improvement in everything we do.
- We will provide quality patient care in the most efficient and effective manner to achieve optimal patient health.
- We will provide innovative, inter-professional educational experiences that develop students as integral members of the health care team and future leaders.
- We will strive for excellence in the clinical practice of dentistry and the dental specialties.
- In our research and discovery, we will generate and disseminate new knowledge, and its applications, to improve the public’s health and oral health locally, nationally and internationally.
- We foster a unique environment in which all employees, clinicians, and researchers can reach their highest personal academic and professional potential.
- We embrace change and new challenges.
- We value teamwork. We use the diverse strengths and abilities of individuals in a group to find innovative solutions to common problems.
- We will act ethically, honestly, respectfully and with complete integrity in our daily actions and interactions.
- We will pursue the advancement of knowledge while meeting the highest standards of honesty, accuracy and objectivity.
- We will act with professionalism, performing to the highest standards of knowledge, respect and trust.
- Our strength and competitive advantage is, and always will be, people.
- We will develop our team leadership and management skills at every level.
- We will continually learn and share ideas and knowledge.
- We respect the ideas, rights, and dignity of all students, faculty, staff, patients, colleagues and community partners. We will act with concern and sensitivity, aware of the impact of our actions on others.
- We provide compassionate, ethical and culturally appropriate treatment to all patients.
- We respect and value the opinions of others whose backgrounds or perspectives may differ from our own.
- We value diversity and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment.
- We encourage collaboration and cooperation between all units in our organization, and among faculty, staff, students, and our community.
- We will meet or exceed the ethical, legal and public expectations that society has of us.
- We are committed to improving the quality of life of our workforce and our families as well as of the local community and society.
- We will invest in the communities we serve through public service activities and university-community partnerships, and encourage all employees and graduates to contribute in their communities.
- We will serve as advocates, especially for underserved populations, to promote equity and reduce oral health disparities.
- We engage our alumni in our activities and encourage them to participate in the school’s success and growth.