Commencement is a celebratory event — the culmination of years of study and hard work, commemorating our students' completion of the DDS/PhD, DDS and MS in Dental Hygiene degree programs. The bestowal of the ceremonial hood marks a special moment in the presence of family and friends — an opportunity to reflect upon one's time in the School of Dentistry, and to look ahead to future endeavors.
Dates and Details
- When: 11 a.m. June 12
- Where: Herbst Theatre, 401 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco
- Who: 2019 graduates of the DDS/PhD, DDS, IDP and Dental Hygiene programs
- Live stream: School of Dentistry's YouTube channel
- Share: Include the hashtag #UCSFDent19 in your posts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
Jeffrey M. Cole, DDS, MBA, President, American Dental Association
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is a ticket required?
- How many guests can graduates invite?
Six (6). There is very limited overflow space this year: 50 seats, 20 standing-room-only; available first come, first served.
- How early should guests arrive?
Doors to seating open 45 minutes before the ceremony. Guest seating is first-come, first-served — no assigned reserved seats. There is ongoing road construction on Van Ness Avenue; allow extra time for potential delays.
- How long does the commencement ceremony last?
About one hour.
- Can I videotape the ceremony?
Yes, if you don't obstruct the views of others. Tripods are not allowed. The ceremony also will be viewable live and on demand on the School of Dentistry's YouTube channel.
- Will there be a place where graduates can store valuables during the ceremony?
No. Graduates should leave valuables and personal possessions with family or friends.
- Guests with disabilities
If you need reasonable accommodations for this event, contact Tami Lam in the Office of Student Services by Monday, May 27. Some accommodations (e.g., sign language interpretation and real-time captioning) may take longer to arrange.