Tri Huynh D.D.S., Ph.D.
Molecular mechanism of bacterial pathogenesis in root canal infections and elucidating the process of periapical bone breakdown upon endodontic infection
- Tel: (415) 514-3546
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
As a clinician scientist, my main goals are to conduct basic science/clinical research and to someday translate the findings directly to patient care. As an American Association of Endodontists Educator Fellow, my other focus is to optimize the educational experience in endodontics for dental students and residents. Currently, my research efforts involve the following in collaboration with several faculty members in the Behavioral Sciences, Biomaterials and Bioengineering, Oral Epidemiology and Public Health Dentistry Divisions within the Department of Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences:
1) Basic science: understanding the molecular mechanism of bacterial pathogenesis in root canal infections and elucidating the process of periapical bone breakdown upon endodontic infection using cell-based and invivo studies
2) Prevention: defining the risk factors to pulpal injury through case-control studies
3) Therapy: developing a novel method for crack-tooth repair
4) Educational: unraveling the stress components in clinical endodontic training from observational studies
Induction of Apoptotic Cell Death in Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells and Polymorphonuclear Cells by Oral Bacterium Fusobacterium nucleatum. A. Jewett, W.R. Hume, H. Le, T. Huynh, Y. Han, G. Cheng and W. Shi. (2000) Infection and Immunity. Vol. 68, No. 4: 1893-1898.
Fusobacterium nucleatum apoptosis inducing outer membrane protein. C.W. Kaplan, R. Lux, T. Huynh, A. Jewett, W. Shi, S. Kinder Haake. (2005) J Dent Res. Aug;84(8):700-4.
Access to Dental Care Among Older Adults in the United States. T. Dolan, K. Atchison, T. Huynh. J Dent Educ. 2005 Sep;69(9):961-74.
The role of aggregation in Fusobacterium nucleatum induced immune cell apoptotic cell death. T. Huynh, R. Kapur, C. Kaplan, W. Shi, and A. Jewett. (2011) J Endod. Nov;37(11):1531-5.
Clinical Efficacy and Effect of Xylitol-Wipes on Bacterial Virulence. L. Zhan, J.D.B. Featherstone, J. Lo, C. Krupansky, N. Hoang, P. DenBesten, T. Huynh. Manuscript accepted for publication in Advances in Dental Research.