Preceptorship in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
A preceptorship is an intensive training course in a subspecialty area of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery which will be open to graduates of dental schools recognized by the World Health Organization. The course will be full time.
Length of Preceptorship
The preceptorship will be offered in 12-week modules, and applicants can take up to four modules at the discretion of the director(s). This means that a preceptorship can last anywhere from three months to 12 months but cannot be longer. The course is full time, and outside activities that interfere with the program are not permitted. There is a one-time, non-refundable application fee of $250 USD. You may pay by credit card (MC, VISA, AMEX) or by check - please make checks payable to UC REGENTS. If accepted into the program, the tuition fee for each module is $4,800.
Status of Preceptors
Preceptors will be continuing education students registered through the Continuing Dental Education Department of the University of California San Francisco.
International preceptors who require visa sponsorship will be supported on the J-1 Student-Non Degree visa. For information on the J-1 Student Non-Degree visa, please visit the UCSF International Student and Scholars Office website at https://isso.ucsf.edu/node/386 or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subspecialty Areas Offered for Preceptorship
- Dental implantology
- The management of temporomandibular joint disorders
- Hospital dentistry
- Orthognathic and reconstructive surgery and the management of obstructive sleep apnea
- Other areas by arrangement
Preceptors will be full participants in the didactic program offered by the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. This consists of the following:
- Tuesday morning 7:00am to 10:00am - Service meeting, Grand Rounds, clinicopathological correlation, risk management and practice management, and Journal Club.
- Tuesday 12:00pm to 1:00pm - Obstructive Sleep Apnea Meeting.
- Thursday 8:00am to 9:00am - Multidisciplinary Implant Conference.
- Thursday 12:00pm to 1:00pm - Multidisciplinary Orthognathic Treatment Planning Conference.
- Friday 7:00am to 8:00am - Multidisciplinary Trauma Conference at San Francisco General Hospital
Preceptors will observe activities in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics and will be involved in diagnosis and treatment planning of patients with problems within the area covered by their preceptorship. Preceptors may assist with patient care activities but cannot be the lead clinician.
All preceptors will be assigned a specific mentor, who will be responsible for the overall planning of activities, and under this mentor, they will carry out a specific clinical or basic science research project of their own which must be submitted prior to leaving the program. At the discretion of the mentor, the preceptor may become involved in the specific research activities of the mentor themselves or of other faculty or research staff.
A certificate of attendance is awarded upon successful completion of the preceptor program. This certificate is not the same as the postgraduate program certificate awarded to full-time postgraduate students in specialty programs as a qualification for recognition by the American Dental Association, nor is it considered in the United States as evidence of advanced study or recognition of specialty training.
Number of Positions
2 - 3 preceptors per module
This preceptorship program is not accredited by any national or local accreditation body, but on completion of the program, preceptors will be issued with a certificate of completion issued by the Continuing Dental Education Department of the UCSF School of Dentistry.
- Academic achievement
- English language proficiency
- Personal Statement
- Confidential reports
- Reason for seeking education in oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Outstanding interpersonal strengths
- Please complete and return the Preceptorship Application (Adobe Acrobat PDF)
- Please complete and return the State of Proficiency in English form (Adobe Acrobat PDF)