The residency program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (OMFS) is designed to meet the requirements of the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association. The program leads to an MD degree and certification in OMFS and can be combined with a PhD, depending on satisfactory progress.
This program will provide you with sufficient didactic and clinical education to meet the requirements of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and to become a knowledgeable practitioner. Along with preparation for a career in clinical practice, UCSF offers many opportunities to develop teaching and clinical research skills necessary for an academic career.
Our residents train at top-ranked, state-of-the-art facilities including UCSF Medical Center at Mission Bay, UCSF Helen Diller Medical Center, SF VA Medical Center and Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital — the only Level I Trauma Center in the city — delivering our trainees with an unsurpassed education program in clinical setting and didactics.
Training includes but is not limited to:
- Dentoalveolar surgery
- Dental implants and maxillofacial implants
- Orthognathic surgery
- Pediatric maxillofacial surgery
- Benign pathology
- Trauma of the head and neck
- Outpatient and general anesthesia in adults and pediatrics
- Minimally invasive and open temporomandibular joint disorder treatments
- Sleep surgery
In addition to clinical training, the department holds daily rounds, weekly grand rounds, and interdisciplinary rounds. Our residents also participate in the continuing education programs of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, including attendance at national and regional meetings.
The schedule of the six-year program is as follows:
- Year 1: 1.5 months OMFS, 10.5 months Medical School
- Year 2: 4.5 months OMFS, 7.5 months Medical School
- Year 3: 3 months OMFS, 7 months Medical School, 2 months USMLE Step 1 and 2
- Year 4: 7 months OMFS, 5 months Anesthesia (including one month of Pediatric Anesthesia)
- Year 5: 5 months OMFS, 7 months General Surgery (including 1 month Plastic Surgery and 1 month ENT)
- Year 6: 12 months OMFS as Chief Resident
Total Medical School: 25 months
Total OMFS: 33 months