Staff Educational Reimbursement ProgramDownload form
UCSF supports the continual learning of its employees through the reimbursement of costs for work-related educational activities, including conferences. Subject to budget constraints, we'll cover up to $500 or the actual expense of the course or activity, whichever is lower, for a total of six awards annually.
There are a few caveats:
- You cannot be awarded more than twice in a 12-month period.
- Approval for reimbursement for one quarter/semester does not guarantee continued approval for successive quarters/semesters.
- We do not reimburse for entrance exams, such as the GRE or DAT, or related preparation courses, or professional licensure programs or costs.
- Expenses for books, lab fees, travel or any other non-tuition costs are not eligible for reimbursement.
You can participate in the program if you're a career, non-probationary employee and:
- You work at least 50 percent time
- You have been employed at the School of Dentistry for at least one year
- You are on pay status with the School of Dentistry at least 50 percent time at the time of reimbursement
- Your performance is documented to be satisfactory or better on your current performance evaluation
Prior to reimbursement for any educational activity, you must submit a written proposal for review and approval by your immediate supervisor, department manager and the associate dean for administration and finance.
The proposed educational or development activity must be related to your position or your professional, technical or managerial skills, and your proposal must include the following:
- A description of the educational activity to be undertaken
- The relation of the activity to your current job responsibilities
- How the activity may assist your transition into future UC career-related positions
- Whether the particular training or activity is available within UC's Development and Training department
- A statement of the relative importance of the activity to the overall needs of the School of Dentistry
- The amount of the tuition reimbursement request
Application deadlines for 2018
- Jan. 15 for activities occurring between Jan. 1 and June 30
- July 15 for activities occurring between July 1 and Dec. 31
If the activity is approved and completed, you must submit proof of tuition payment and completion of the course with a grade of B or better. For conference awards, you must show proof of payment and attendance.
Keep in mind that while applications must be submitted by the deadlines above, reimbursement takes place after the fact.
In the event that you are unable to use your award, the reimbursement is considered cancelled. You will have to reapply for any future educational activities.