UC San Francisco is continuing its program to recognize the hard work, dedication and contributions of staff that have gone above and beyond to support the Chancellor’s priorities and/or UCSF’s PRIDE values.
Referred to as the “STAR Program,” the program was implemented in January 2017 and offers financial awards that are designed to recognize a select number of exceptional staff in a very special way. Specifically, select staff can be recognized for their contributions occurring July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019, with two awards:
- SPOT AWARDS: recognize significant employee achievements and contributions, as they occur, for a specific project or task over a relatively short period of time. A Spot Award lets employees know their praiseworthy contributions have been noticed. Each Spot Award is valued at $1,000. For the School of Dentistry, these nominations will be reviewed and awarded quarterly. For the period of July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019, the School of Dentistry has 44 SPOT awards available.
- ACHIEVEMENT AWARDS: recognize sustained, exceptional performance and/or significant contributions from employee(s) over an extended period of time. The contribution(s) that is being recognized at the Achievement Award level must reflect at least one of the Chancellor’s Priorities and/or the UCSF PRIDE Values. Each Achievement Award is valued at $5,000. These nominations will be reviewed and awarded once per year. For the period of July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019, the School of Dentistry has eight Achievement awards available.
Nominations can be made by any UCSF employee. However, to be an eligible nominee for a STAR Award in our School, an employee must meet the following qualifications:
- Must be a School of Dentistry employee
- Must be Campus policy-covered staff (non-represented) or represented staff in the clerical (CX) bargaining unit (no other bargaining unit employees are eligible for participation in the program at this time).
- Must hold a career position; or a contract appointment at 50 percent time or more with six months of continuous service; or a limited position and have at least six months of continuous service.
- Completion of probationary period where applicable.
- Must have a satisfactory performance rating on the most recent performance evaluation. Employees who have not yet received an annual performance evaluation may be eligible for an award if their manager confirms on the nomination form that they are satisfactory.
Must be on active pay status or approved unpaid leave on the date the award payment is made.
The STAR Award Nomination Form must be used for every nomination. We require that all nominations be submitted by the nominees’ supervisor, but it can be submitted for consideration by the committee even if the supervisor does not support the nomination. If the supervisor does not support the nomination, a reason must be provided on the nomination form.
Detailed information on the UCSF STAR Program is available online at the HR website. For the period of July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019 the School of Dentistry will be continue awarding the Spot and Achievement awards at the School level. We have convened a committee with representatives from each of the School’s seven departments/units who will review the applications and determine the awardees. In an attempt to ensure that SPOT awards will be available throughout the program period, they will be reviewed and distributed four times throughout the year; Achievement awards will be reviewed and distributed once a year.
SPOT nomination due dates:
- Oct. 31, 2018
- Jan. 31, 2019
- April 30, 2019
Achievement nomination due dates:
- May 30, 2019