Office of Admissions
513 Parnassus Ave., S619
San Francisco, CA 94143-0430
From scientific journals to study aids, these organizations will be helpful to you as you embark on your career in periodontology.
American Academy of Periodontology
The professional organization for periodontists is dedicated to promoting excellence in the field. Visit the AAP website for scientific journals, career options and clinical and practice management resources
American Board of Periodontology
A specialty board of the American Dental Association, the ABP is responsible for administering the certification process. Its website has information about certification and the qualifying examination, including exam preparation.
To be eligible for admission to the Postgraduate Program in Periodontology, you must meet the following requirements:
- Hold a DDS or DMD degree or equivalent
- Take the National Board Exam, Part I by the application deadline (Part II will be required if you are matched to the program for final admission)
- Take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), if your native language is not English and you have not completed at least one year of college or university-level studies in the United States.
There are three steps to the application process:
- Submit your application through the Postdoctoral Application Support Service (PASS) by Aug. 1. You must include the following: personal essay, curriculum vitae (CV), official dental school transcript, upload scanned copies of all other (undergraduate/graduate) transcripts, three PASS evaluation forms (PEFs), dean's institution evaluation and all required scores.
- Register with the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program to obtain a match code number, which you must submit through the PASS application. The Match Program is a centralized selection service that matches applicants to programs.
- Submit the nonrefundable application processing fee ($60 for domestic applicants, $80 for international applicants) through the UCSF application fee portal. The deadline is Aug. 1.
If you have international coursework:
You must submit to PASS a course-by-course evaluation of your transcript by either Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc., or World Education Services AND send an official copy of the international transcript directly to the SOD Office of Admissions.
If a WES ICAP report is submitted to PASS this will fulfill the requirement for the evaluation and transcript.
Send these items to:
University of California, San Francisco
School of Dentistry Office of Admissions
513 Parnassus Ave., S-630
San Francisco, CA 94143-0430
Please note: To be considered for a position in the Postgraduate Program in Periodontology, you must meet all qualifications and submit all required documentation, including the UCSF application processing fee, by the deadline.